Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Post Surgery Wrap up

Ugh, so the winter has come down on Chicago with a vengance! GRR! It's to be expected, but I'm alreayd looking forward to spring, I usually don't get this way until about late Feb.

Surgery was Dec 16th and it went well. As expected, I freaked out when they gave me the IV (I'm such a baby) and started freaking out 3 minutes before the gave me lala drugs.

Doc fixed up some torn cartilidge, but that really wasn't my problem. Seems I had a lot of tissue buildup behing the knecap - so much that it actually tore & slightly shifted how my kneecap sits. I was surprised I could walk on my knee the day of, though it was painful.

Last visit at the doctor he informed me that because the damage was more than expected, I now have 6 weeks of physical therapy. I'm not happy about this, but I do want to get back to running so for now, I just follow doc's orders.

I'm already tired of gimping around, having limited ability to bend and walking up and down the stairs like a two year old! My boyfriend is being awesome, carting my butt everywhere, getting me ice, Aleve, bringing me flowers and in general just making sure I'm comfortable.

In all honesty though, I really just want to be able to walk & run. I'm already looking forward to running the 1/2 marathon in Grand Rapids this coming year! I'm going to be ready and I'm going to beat this year's time!

So, it's therapy now - trying to keep the weight down (oops - holiday snacking) and strengthining my core, abs and upper body - at least until I can get back to full speed!

No comments: